Winter in Northeast Ohio began late this year. While we’re usually buried in snow by December, we didn’t have our first significant snowfall until now, mid-January. We grownups are thrilled with it while the kids go to bed dreaming of snow days.
Now that the cold and snow are here to stay, here is a list of family fun to enjoy on those snow days or in your free time if you’re waiting on a new bundle of joy to join your family or to help cure the winter blues.
I’ll split this up into INDOOR & OUTDOOR activities to make things easier.
- Monster Jam 2016 – What kid doesn’t love big trucks doing tricks and smashing things?! Monster Jam is heading to Cleveland Valentine’s Day weekend, February 13 & 14, with multiple shows each day. And while you’re downtown, you can eat out at one of Cleveland’s many family friendly restaurants.
- Indoor Play Centers – Play centers are always fun no matter what time of year you go. With mini golf, trampolines, bounce houses, playgrounds, laser tag, arcades, and more, there’s something fun for everyone. Many even host birthday parties! When there’s two feet of snow on the ground and single digit temps, no one wants to head outside. These are perfect for getting out all that extra energy! Northeast Ohio is home to many of these centers and no matter where you are located in NE Ohio, there’s a play center nearby.
- Museums & Science Centers – The Great Lakes Science Center and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are probably two of the most popular and well known museums, but did you know that NE Ohio has MANY more family friendly places to choose from?
- Arts & Crafts – Let your kids express their creativity by painting, creating pottery, glass blowing, making handmade jewelry, building wooden projects and more. Various locations across the region offer a variety of children & family classes, private instructions, demonstrations and more. In addition to these, don’t forget to check your local Home Depot, Lowes, and Michaels for their children’s workshops on select Saturdays every month.
- Sledding Hills – If sledding in your backyard is not an option, here’s a list of the best sledding hills in NE Ohio. And there are many! From smaller hills with very little incline to large steep hills, there’s plenty of various hills to thrill the entire family.
- Indoor & Outdoor Skating Rinks – NE Ohio is home to a handful of seasonal outdoor rinks. Admission is typically inexpensive (and sometimes FREE) and there is a small fee to rent ice skates (assuming you don’t have a pair of your own).
- Skiing & Snowboarding – If sledding’s not your thing, try your hand at something more physically demanding. Whether for skiing, snowboarding or tubing Northeast Ohio has a number of ski resorts to meet your needs. All have trails ranging from beginner to expert and offer classes for various skill levels.
- Hand-feed Birds – Winter in Ohio is not very nice to pregnant women so here is an activity you can do that does not involve sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else do the fun stuff! Head over to Beech Creek Gardens in Alliance, Cleveland Metroparks in Brecksville, or The West Woods in Russel and Newbury Townships to hand-feed Chickadees. Check the sites for dates and times.
- Zoos, Parks, Farms, and Aquariums – Many people don’t realize that animals tend to be more active in the wintertime in these locations. Bundle up and head out to one of the many places NE Ohio has to offer to watch the animals run and play.
With so many events and activities nearby, you’re sure to stay entertained all winter long. If you feel I missed something and you want me to add it, leave a comment and let me know!